Saturday, January 13, 2007

Blogging

Looking for my voice in blogging and indeed discovering its addictive aspects, I keep wondering what I want for, from it. At the end of the day it gives me a possibility to share a few thoughts and clear my mind. This is not a personal diary. I have gone to great length to avoid that. Not that I am afraid of writing reality, or the censorship of friends or the corporate culture I work in when I position myself in the small world I am part of. No, it is for you I write. Sharing over the internet? Does that mean I cannot share enough in my real life? Or am I trying to make these words do more than that. I have avoided writing about people so that they would be recognized, knowing it is not right for me to position myself at the outside of a group and then write about it, taking the lifeblood out of the lives of others, used as examples, prototypes or specific roles trying to reach you. The advocacy is meant to make people think and maybe act, constituting a desperate gesture to change the disastrous course of events in global strategies, in the risks and dangers humanity faces. When I write stories, however, it is different. Then everyone knows that although based in the reality of general human experience, although maybe modeled after one or other person, it still is a story, written for effect and esthetic enjoyment, to warm up a frozen heart, to bring a smile or question to one’s eyes. And then I realize that although all I write in the blog is true, it is also meant to be interesting, surprising, and divers in its topics and style, a kind of artform of the journey along muddy roads, snowy mountains and dusty trails. Yes, it is escapism from closed doors, clockwork lives, shriveled hearts, dull minds. The escape route hopefully brings a life filled with curiosity and discovery and the wabi sabi of simple beauty; stacking words, one onto another, like one stone upon another without constructing enclosures or prisons, but in gentle forms build a safehaven for free thought, free speech and free feeling. Of course this is all an illusion. There are 18 intelligence and counterintelligence agencies in the USA, the President just signed a bill adding to it that he would have the right to open our mail… yet when you send an e-mail with your views about the war in Iraq you receive the following automated answer:

On behalf of President Bush, thank you for your correspondence.
We appreciate hearing your views and welcome your suggestions.
The President is committed to continuing our economic progress,
defending our freedom, and upholding our Nation's deepest values.

Due to the large volume of e-mail received, the White House
cannot respond to every message. Please visit the White House
website for the most up-to-date information on Presidential
initiatives, current events, and topics of interest to you.
In order to better receive comments from the public, a new system
has been implemented. In the future please send your comments to
comments@whitehouse.gov.

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

Maybe all this is why I blog

No comments:

Post a Comment